In this series, I'll be sharing what I consider to be the six foundational elements of coaching. And in this post, I'll share the first one -- uncovering a crystal clear and inspired vision.
When you add these six elements to your coaching, you'll build a solid foundation to work from.
And when you combine these elements with YOUR secret sauce, you can create your own coaching methodology that stands out in a crowded marketplace.
Plus, add in the Art of Steady Progress (my last blog series) and you've got magic.
Ok. So let's get to the six foundational elements of coaching...
- 1Uncover a crystal clear and inspired vision. What it looks like on the other side of the transformation for your client. This helps you and them get a clear picture of what transformation looks like for them.
- 2Create an action plan. This is based on your coaching methodology and what the client wants. Create a plan that will help them get to the other side of the transformation.
- 3Design an Optimized environment. This includes both their physical environment and the people in their lives. Removing the things that hinder their goals and adding in things that will help them.
- 4Develop Skills & Knowledge. Decide what skills they need to develop to reach their goals. And what knowledge they need to gain to make it permanent.
- 5Build good habits and remove bad habits. Develop and incorporate habits that will support them. Remove the habits that get in the way of them achieving their vision.
- 6Work on their psychology. What mindset shifts, beliefs, and identity changes need to take place so that they become the person on the other side of the transformation.
So those are the six foundational elements of coaching. Help your clients with each of these elements and you have an excellent chance of helping your clients make the transformation.
And... love the process.
1. Uncover a Crystal Clear and Inspired Vision
Let's dive into the first element in this series -- creating a crystal clear and inspired vision.
And break these into two parts -- crystal clear vision AND inspired vision.
Crystal Clear Vision
Helping your client create a crystal clear vision of what the transformation looks like for them can be one of the most important tools you have in your coaching toolbox.
The vision needs to be as specific as your client is willing and able to go.
The clearer it is and the more they can imagine themselves in that place, the easier it will be.
Take some time on it. See if you can't get them to describe it to you in a way that YOU have a crystal clear picture of what they want.
Uncovering that crystal clear vision leads to having an inspired vision. You want them to feel inspired by their detailed description of their vision.
You want to feel inspired for them.
When they see themselves there, not only do you want them to think it's doable, but worth the effort.
Transforming permanently can sometimes take a long time. And there are bumps and setbacks and doubts that come with the journey.
Having that clear and inspired vision in place will help you and your client move past those rough spots. And keep moving forward.
In the next blog article, we'll talk about how to set up an action plan that feels doable and fun to our clients. So they'll take the action needed to get to that clear and inspired vision.
With love & joy,
P.S. Is there someone in your life who could benefit from reading this post? Why not share this with them?